Director, Product Development & Operations
The Director is responsible for leading BAI Learning & Development’s technology product development, QA, development operations and engineering teams. A successful candidate will have demonstrated through their career the ability to allocate resources among projects and knowledge of how to map company priorities to their team’s deliverables.
This role requires the ability to balance strategic and tactical goals by distributing work across teams. A leader who is comfortable interacting with end customers and participates in requirements gathering with the product management team. They will take personal accountability for failure, while praising team for accomplishments. Communicates effectively and respectfully to all members of the organization. Is viewed as a true leader who keeps engagement high while mentoring managers and individual contributors.
- Build comprehensive eLearning experiences using progressive technologies and patterns.
- Lead BAI’s software engineering effort to deliver customer facing features for Financial Services professionals and learners.
- Develop, maintain, and evangelize a technical roadmap. Shape the coding methodologies and best practices.
- Demonstrate a mix of intelligence, integrity, domain knowledge, verbal agility, and diplomacy to rapidly earn the trust of engineers and product management leaders.
- Own the delivery of product solutions and ongoing performance of those solutions, work with the product team to define KPIs and meet SLAs.
- Organize the technical team to consistently deliver the most value to the end customer and the company overall.
- Quickly make low-level decisions while being patient and methodical with high-level ones.
- Demonstrate strong technical architecture and engineering skills along with the ability to switch between technology paradigms.
- Create, manage and approve budgetary expenditures related to the creation of a product.
- Work well with other business leaders by collaborating on both internal business priorities as well as external product initiatives.
- Attract, hire and retain top software engineering talent. Develop a high performing team and utilize leadership skills to help the team operate at their maximum potential.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a similar field
- 10+ years of software engineering experience and 3+ years of demonstrated success in a leadership role
- Experienced engineering leader with strong communication skills and a proven ability to collaborate with Product Management, Program Management, Marketing, Sales and customers to achieve successful outcomes
- Prior experience leading teams for enterprise SaaS multi-tenant products
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to align cross functional peers and engineers with the product strategy
- Ability to attract and hire great software engineers and managers, build high-performance teams, lead and mentor the team, and make them successful
- Tactful mentorship approach that works with less experienced engineers, senior engineers, and managers
- Track record of managing all phases of software development
- Architecture and hands-on experience building microservices
- Comfortable with Test Driven Development (TDD) and Agile environments
- Capable of being a polyglot engineer with experience with front-end frameworks including Vue.js or React.js, back-end server frameworks like .NET Core, Node.js or Express.js and an understanding of infrastructure such as API Gateway, containerization, load balancing
- 5+ years of work experience working with Web applications
- Strong knowledge in working with REST API, Web services and SSO standards (OAuth, SAML)
- Experience with code versioning tools, preferably Git (Github, Gitlab, etc)
- Experience with Databases and SQL (Microsoft SQLServer a plus)
- Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, and AZURE services a plus
- Experience in working with Agile/Scrum environment
- Knowledge of Instructional Learning tools Adobe Captivate, Rise, Articulate Storyline and Lectora a plus